February 17, 2008

Good bye Appu Ghar...

Only the readers belonging to Delhi or those who have visited the Appu Ghar will relate to the emotions packed in this writing and for others; if you can then please book the last few tickets in Appu Ghar today...

Appu Ghar, India's first amusement park was inaugarated in the year 1984, a year before I was born. The school trips, the family trips and the trips with my friends to Appu Ghar were majestic in it's own right and emotionally varying and yet simillar in many ways, each time I went there...

The scary 'bhoot bangla rides', the stomach tickling 'appu columbus',the larger than life 'my fair lady rides' are crystal clear in my mindscape.The long ques in the ticket counter always justified the fun and frolic we had there....

From tomorrow onwards, no one will be able to re-live the euphoria which this place created in my soul as a kid.Appu Ghar is getting permanently closed tomorrow. Many of their staffs also are at the risk of getting unemployed according to news reports. I pray, hope and appeal that the employees are given alternative job oppurtunities. They deserve compensation or alternate job for the service they have rendered to millions of people and for bringing smile on their faces...

There is one deep regret I have in my heart. As I grew older, I drifted away from Appu Ghar. I probably thought that no matter how fast I grow up, Appu Ghar will remain young always, providing me the ease and luxury to come back to it's cocoon any time. It did remain young till date and will always remain symbolic to the young,lovely and vibrant 'Delhi'.

Love you always 'Appu Ghar'............

No comments: