October 1, 2007

NEW AGE SPIRITUALITY






In this era where people are at a constant race to do things which they are expected to do and not things which they want to do; we need a support system which could aid us to do which we are expected to do.

That support system to me is called ‘spirituality’. Spirituality has provided me immense strength to find keen interest and a great drive in what I am expected to do as well as in things which I want to do in life.

What does exactly spirituality mean to all of us???? Everyone has their own perception to it.

What surprises to me the most is that most of us think spirituality and religion means the same. But I believe religion is just a divine medium to derive spiritual fulfillment. I have loads of friends who are spiritually intelligent but are not religious. They don’t know the Gayatri Mantra, they don visit the church everyday, they don read the Namaz five times a day. But for me they qualify to be spiritually intelligent. They know themselves well, they know what they want in their life and they are compassionate. What else should a man expect from spirituality in the 21st century where it’s too easy to be cynical while chasing the rat race???

I have also found an easy and interesting medium of spirituality. I simply try and keep the kid inside me alive through a game of table tennis, sometimes through cartoon network and sometimes while reading the works of Enid Blyton and Ruskin Bond. It helps me to listen to the beautiful music composed in my heart; it makes me a lesser cynical man and motivates me to be an impractical optimist in life. Again I raise the question of what else do you expect from spirituality????

My colleagues in the office greet me with Happy Monday, Happy Tuesday, Happy Wednesday, Happy Thursday and Happy Friday accordingly based on which day of the week it is. What it results into is ‘celebration of work’. Again I ask u the question, have you ever found a more spiritually inclined workplace????

My friend on getting his first salary donates the entire amount to an orphanage instead of making a so called intelligent ‘investment’. Is that not spiritual????

Huge number of youth gathers on road to distribute water and food packets to the shocked public minutes after serial bomb blast in Mumbai. I certainly believe such act of compassion does qualify as a potent prerequisite of spiritual intellect.

Even small acts like growing consciousness of physical fitness to wearing a livestrong band to support a noble cause to the immense public support provided during Jessica Lal murder case to participating in a marathon to the online signature campaign against the very recent molestation of women in DU campus by wanna be police men is extremely spiritual to us.

All the above mentioned paragraphs speak volumes about the spiritual enlightment of this Rang De Basanti era. I hope India continues to grow in it’s spiritual front in this manner. This to me is the contemporary face of spirituality with all due respect to what my readers perceive as spirituality.

We all are more comfortable with contemporary things…. Aren't we???????
-Saikat Saha

1 comment:

smilekapoor said...

Yes You are very true, that Sprituality as such should not be bound within Ashrams and so called holy places. It must be practiced and shared in daily life.

Certainly, New Age Man has to get the Sprituality re-defined for the sake of HUMANITY...and then for DIVINITY.
love, Ranjeet